August 27, 2008

Traveling Pantsuits

Hillary Rodham Clinton had a few funny lines during her passionate speech at the convention last night. My favorite was, “To my sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits.”

I felt inspired when Hillary talked about how hard women worked to gain the right to vote and because of those efforts, her daughter, Chelsea, was able to vote for her own mother.

This January, an article I wrote will appear in New Moon Magazine about Victoria Woodhull, the first woman to run for president, fifty years before women were allowed to vote.

I'm fascinated and inspired by the fight for women's rights.

You can watch Hillary’s speech here:



And this is the letter I received from Hillary Rodham Clinton after I sent her my book for Chelsea.



It says: Dear Ms. Gephart: Thank you for sending a copy of your book, As If Being 12 ¾ Isn’t Bad Enough, My mother Is Running for President!. You were very thoughtful to include me in the distribution of this work. With appreciation, I am Sincerely yours, Hillary Rodham Clinton.”

I'm grateful to be able to combine two passions: politics and writing books for young people. Because of these two passions, I've met fascinating people and had many interesting experiences. So, here's to that sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits!

All best,
Donna

2 comments:

Kirie said...

I really enjoy your choice of clips to post and your overall attitude. I "followed" you to your blog from the Angela Hoy site, intrigued by "six reasons you should write and one reason you should," or something along those lines. My old writing mentor said, "If there's any other way to give to the world, do it." I'm glad you kept with it.

Wild About Words said...

Thanks, Kirie, for stopping by. Glad you "found" me from Angela Hoy's site, www.writersweekly.com. The article you mentioned, "Six Reasons to Quit Writing (& One Reason You Shouldn't)" is in the 2009 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market.
Best regards,
Donna