January 14, 2011

Walk With Me . . .

in Riverbend Park . . .



Follow the orange marks on the trees a mile or so and you'll come to a tiny waterfall where canoe and kayak riders must pull their boats up, over a wooden ramp.

Hello canoe riders . . .



Uh-oh! Watch out . . .



I've canoed and kayaked WITH ALLIGATORS (and incidentally, with my children, who are significantly more dangerous). Mostly, you don't bother gators and they don't bother you.

What you really need to watch out for is those pesky writer types . . .



This park is my favorite place to relax, walk among nature, observe interesting creatures and chill with good friends.

Here's one now. "Hi, Holly!"



Every time I walk in this park, I discover something new. I've seen a family of deer an arm's length away. Baby Sandhill Cranes. I've heard peacocks shriek -- scared the tail feathers out of me. And discovered a pond full of wood storks and herons.

This time, Holly and I spied armadillos waddling into the brush. Couldn't get my camera out fast enough to capture their images, but I did get this . . .



ARMADILLO POOP! This, of course, ended up in my new novel, OLIVIA BEAN, TRIVIA QUEEN. Don't ask!

So glad you could walk with me in my favorite park.

I'll be back soon with fun photos from the 10th annual Florida SCBWI conference. I attended the first conference and almost every one since, and I'm so excited to reunite with old friends and make new ones this weekend.

Have a lovely weekend; maybe take a walk . . . in YOUR favorite park!

No comments: