April 25, 2011

Being an Author . . .

is all about connecting.

This author found a highly creative way to connect with readers. He opened a bookstore in NY with only ONE book in stock -- his!

Why didn't I think of that? Doh!

One of my favorite ways to connect is through meeting young readers in schools or during Skype visits.

Hammy and I did a whole bunch of Skype visits recently to celebrate World Read Aloud Day.

So, you can imagine how excited Hammy and I were to open our mailbox and find this . . .



It's full of creative cards, letters, drawings, etc. from young readers that Hammy and I had the pleasure to visit with during a FUNtastic Skype visit to Brook Forest Elementary.




Here are a few of the wonderful "Thank You"s the students created . . .







"Dear Donna Gephart, Thank you for skypeing with my class. You are great author. It was funny when you showed us your rubber chicken, and when you showed us your big glasses. You were very funny. It was cool that you memorized the summery the book you talked about. You are one of my favorite authors. Once again, thank you for coming to my school. From, Kabir."


A big THANK YOU to Mr. John Schu for arranging the Skype visit, encouraging the students to create those wonderful cards and for being the best librarian in the world. At least, that's what Jon Scieszka says.

4 comments:

Mr. Schu said...

Thank you for connecting with Brook Forest on World Read Aloud Day. You're the best!

Wild About Words said...

Thank YOU for all the creative ways you connect children to literature, technology and each other!!!

Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

Hi Donna! I'm your newest follower. Great interview at Shrinking Violets!

Wild About Words said...

Thanks, Kimberley!