December 2, 2011

Where's the Lorax When You Need Him?

When we walked our dogs, they always stopped under the Royal Poinciana tree on our corner.  We admired the orange blooms and long green pods.  It was the only shade for blocks.


When Hubby saw a "For Sale" sign in front of the property, he said, "Uh oh.  That tree's going to come down."

"Don't say that," I said.  "It might not."

A few weeks later, there were two men out there.  One had a chain saw; the other stood back with arms crossed.

"You're not going to cut down that tree," I said to the man with his arms crossed.

"I've got to," he said, gesturing.  "Look how it's hitting that wire up there."

"But we love that tree.  It barely survived the hurricanes, then came back to what it is now."

He shrugged.

I fumed.

It reminded me of this book, where residents saw an orange traffic cone one day near their beloved orange tree and knew trouble was brewing.


And this book about how Julia Butterfly Hill spent TWO YEARS living in a tree to save it from being cut down.





It wasn't long before the beautiful tree on our corner looked like this . . .



And then this . . .


The book we really need is this one . . .



Where's the Lorax when you need him?


"You're in charge of the last of the Truffula Seeds.
And Truffula Trees (Royal Poinciana Trees) are what everyone needs.
Plant a new Truffula.  Treat it with care.
Give it clean water.  And feed it fresh air.
Grow a forest.  Protect it from axes (and chainsaws) that hack.
Then the Lorax and all of his friends may come back." 

-- The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

4 comments:

Gail Shepherd said...

We have a "tree board" in Lake Worth, and can now petition to stop things like this. But I have similar stories. A lot on the corner of our street had a dozen old and gorgeous trees -- it had once been a small outdoor museum run by an eccentric couple. School kids would come and study the trees, and also several fish ponds and outdoor aquariums there. When we moved here, it was a magic place, run down and overgrown, but full of mystery. A developer bought it an cleared it to resell, just razed the entire property. It's still for sale, now overgrown with weeds and drifting sand. The only things standing are the "For Sale: Priced Aggressively" signs (which have been there for five years now. Not priced aggressively enough, evidently). My heart breaks a little every time I pass it. I hope there's a special circle in hell for whoever bulldozed that beautiful place. And I wish I'd had the foresight to take some "before" pictures.

Wild About Words said...

Oh, Gail. I felt angry just reading this. Sounds like that space had so much value way beyond anything financial. Let's teach kids to connect with nature so they don't grow up and level these precious spaces.

Meredith Glickman said...

I fell upon your blog. The Lorax. One of my favoite books. And, yes, all three of my kids know it and feel it. The loss of that tree is a crime. They could have trimmed the tops-such an easy fix. Just cut it down? Heartbreaking. Love the blog and my twin 10 year olds love your books. Thanks for writing

Wild About Words said...

Meredith,

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a thoughtful comment.

I'm delighted to learn that your 10-year-old twins enjoy my books.

I'll keep writing them. :)

All best,
Donna