June 14, 2012

Summer Shenanigans, Schedule and a Ghastly GHOST!

I'm excited to head to the Thurber House this summer for the Children's Writer in Residence Program

Thurber House in Columbus, OH

I'll live in the upstairs apartment of James Thurber's boyhood home in Columbus, OH . . . along with a GHOST. 

Don't believe me?  Check out this video!


(With Spanish subtitles.  Heh heh!)

How did I get myself into this spooky predicament, er, I mean wonderful opportunity?  You can read about how many times I applied here.  After so many attempts, I'm so happy to be this summer's 2012 Children's Writer in Residence.  (Well, except for that pesky ghost thing.)

Here's a schedule of my activities (many of which are open to the public):
  • Monday, June 25th, 12:30-2:40 p.m. --  Teaching at the Thurber Summer Writing Camp
  • Tuesday, June 26th, 6:00-8:00 p.m.  -- Visiting the Young Writers' Studio
  • Wednesday, June 27th, 9:30-11:30 a.m. -- Teach creative writing class at the King Arts Complex
  • Friday, June 29th, 9:30-11:30 a.m. -- Teach creative writing class at the King Arts Complex
  • Tuesday, July 10th, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. -- Teach writing workshop at the Old Worthington Library  (Open to the public.)
  • Tuesday, July 10th, 2:00-3:00 p.m. -- Teach writing workshop at the Northwest Worthington LIbrary  (Open to the public.)
  • Wednesday, July 11th, 9:30-11:45 a.m. -- Teaching at the Thurber Summer Writing Camp
  • Thursday, July 12th, 6:00-8:00 p.m. -- Reading at McConnell Arts Center  (Open to the public.)
  • Monday, July 16th, 12:30-2:40 -- Teaching at the Thurber Summer Writing Camp
  • Tuesday and Wednesday, July 17th and 18th, 1:00-3:00 p.m. -- Teaching creative writing clsses at the Homeless Families Foundation
  • Thursday, July 19th, 2-3 p.m. -- Reading at Northside Library  (Open to the pubic.)
  • (A bookstore appearance to be announced.)
What will I be doing the rest of the time?  Missing these guys . . .


 And these guys . . .



 And these gals . . .


 And lots of other guys and gals!

Oh yeah, I'll also be writing!  And writing!  AND WRITING!!!

Maybe the Thurber House ghost can help me pen my mysterious new book.  Hmm.  Reminds me of this fun book by Kate Klise:


 The ghost and I wish you a very happy summer!

8 comments:

Andrew said...

We joke, but I am in a haunted house. Living here. Not so funny when chandeliers suspend themselves sideways :p I hope you have better luck and meet a Casper type! haha

Anonymous said...

Be sure to visit the main library, too. They've got an amazing children's section and YA section.

Sandra Baran said...

It sounds like such an exciting month ahaed of you! The ghost will love you!!!

Wild About Words said...

Andrew, you leave that ghost alone! You know it's scared of humans.
Rebecca, visiting the main library is one of the many things I'm looking forward to. In fact, I may just move in.
Sandra, thanks, but do you think the ghost will go kayaking with me? I will miss you, friend.

Dan R. said...

As a writer and blogspot host,
seek out the Thurber House ghost.

She knows full well
you want a tale you can tell,
one you’ll tell far better than most.

Wild About Words said...

Dan R.,

You are filled with wonderful!

Hugs to you and Carole,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis, So glad you didnt give up!! Sounds like it will be a great month...except for the ghost (good luck w that).

Katie L. Carroll said...

Ooooh, how exciting! I got married at a haunted restaurant. We had a falling window incident, but the ghost caught the window before it fell two floors to the parking lot...it must have been a good ghost. Enjoy the summer, Donna!