July 10, 2012

Extraordinary Libraries . . .

I LOVED my childhood library in Philadelphia.  It fed my writer's soul.  It provided friends between the pages of its books.  It was my google, my educator, my travel agent, my inspiration and, sometimes, my social life.

Northeast Regional Library on Cottman Avenue

But it was nothing like the libraries I was in today.

Welcome to Bookingham Forest at Old Worthington Library in Worthington, Ohio . . .

My fantastic host, Meg Brown, at the entrance to the children's section


Come into the storytime room . . .

One of the places to sit in the storytime room in Bookingham Forest

I taught a couple fun writing workshops today.

You can almost hear the scratching of pencils across paper.

The young writers who shared their writing wore a medal while they read about an imagined award they were winning.

Sydney with Hammy the Hamster

Hammy's new friend, Abby


Then it was off to the Northwest Worthington branch.  Welcome to Story Garden . . .

Entrance to the children's department

Check out the outside wall of their storytime room in Story Garden . . .


And the inside . . .


You can always hang out with Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad . . .

My host, Amy Brown


My new friends, Frog and Toad


Then it was off to the Worthington Park Branch, where Amy Brown is the the manager.  It's set among a grocery store and dollar store in a shopping center . . .

Worthington Park Branch


There's a lot of magic in that smaller space.  Welcome to Story Park . . .


Have a seat . . .


I can only imagine growing up with libraries like these to light my imagination on fire.  Lucky kids.  Lucky me for getting to work with them today.

What do you remember about YOUR childhood library?

No comments: